Grand Junction was founded in 1854 and got its naming from the "Grand Junction" of
the Memphis and the Charleston Mississippi Railroad Lines. These are the major North/South
and East/West lines running thru Grand Junction. Grand Junction and its railroads
were a much sought after prize during the Civil War for whomever controlled the railroads
controlled the rest of West Tennessee. During the Civil War the Union Army held the
city from the Confederate Army for aprox. 3 years. Much of the town suffered destruction
during this time.
In 1878 the Yellow Fever epidemic came to Grand Junction and wiped-out more than
half of the 150 residents left in the town. Most are buried in the local Cemetery.
The town started to rebuild, several of those buildings still exist today. The Baptist
Churchwas built in 1858, the Methodist Church in 1870. The former Presbyterian Church,
which is now the town library, was built in the 1880's.
Grand Junction Tennessee is located in the southwestern corner of Hardeman County
TN. It is approximately 1 hr east of Memphis and 1 hour west of Pickwick Dam Recreation
area The current population is 321.
Grand Junction has recently became the “Field Trial Capital of the World!” The wall
is being erected at the entrance of Grand Junction at the Hwy of 57 and 18.
The National Bird Dog Museum which also houses the Field Trial Hall of Fame and Wildlife
Heritage Center is located in Grand Junction. The famous Ames Plantation is located
nearby. The Ames Plantation was once the home of Hobart Ames, he left his estate
to the University of Tennessee, with the stipulation the National Field Trials would